Enhancing the Flame:
Building Our Jewish Community
- Providing resources to meet needs that are now unmet and sustaining improved programs into the future
- Enhancing the community that is the foundation of BJC
- Supporting the infrastructure of the congregation through building financial reserves and improving our physical space
Campaign Purposes and Goal
Through this voluntary campaign, Enhancing the Flame (ETF), BJC seeks to realize $400,000 over the next four years. We recognize many will prefer to make their contribution over a period of years. Of course, we welcome donations in a lump sum at the start. As important as it is to raise these funds, it is no less important to build our community and involvement through broadbased participation within our congregation. We hope to come as close to 100 percent participation within our congregation as possible and recognize that some can give more than others.
What Do We Need? What Will the Enhancing the Flame Funds Be Used For?
The funds will be used for necessary improvements and enhancements beyond those covered by the annual operating budget. As we start the campaign, we recognize many needs that could be served. Ideas to be considered include:
- Ensuring and strengthening the fiscal health of our congregation
- Providing for needed physical improvement, such as paying for our share of security upgrades (e.g. parking lot lighting and security cameras) and replacing the flooring of Covenant Hall, the Gathering Space, and the Lounge
- Enhancing our worship through procuring another Torah, the newly revised Reform prayer books, and upgrading the Ner Tamid, our Eternal Light
- Facilitating learning through making improvements for the school, endowing a speakers and program fund, and establishing a more substantial library.
Having Fun While Building the Fund
Throughout the course of the ETF campaign, we intend to augment our efforts with separate fundraising events, with the proceeds benefiting the campaign. Ideas under consideration include a concert, a silent auction, a flea market, and raffles.
Nuts and Bolts
BJC is a religious organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and gifts to the campaign will constitute deductible charitable contributions for purposes of federal income taxation. Enhancing the Flame has a separate accounting system. The Campaign is able to accept securities, such as stocks. Please contact the BJC office for appropriate forms.
The Board of Trustees has appointed "Shomrim" or guardians from the ranks of Past Presidents to make recommendations to the Board as to how funds should be spent. Through the Board, all congregants will have the opportunity for input on priorities. All BJC members are encouraged to provide their views to the Shomrim and the Board regarding priorities for the campaign's funds.